Sunday, August 3, 2008

I'm leaving Seattle...tomorrow!

I find it hard to believe that 24 hours from now I will be on a plane headed for JFK airport. From there I take the AirTrain to Manhattan where I transfer to the subway which takes me to E Fordham Rd. From there I walk to 187th st and Prospect where I will meet my new landlord and roommates. I am bringing one small suitcase and one backpack filled with the following: Norton Anthologies, my laptop, and knitting, knitting, knitting. My mother is shipping a selection of books and a big box of yarn to me as soon as I am settled.

Classes don't begin until September 3rd and I am registered for 20th C. Black Women Writers and Medieval Scottish Poetry. I have been waiting for the reading lists to be available, but as of yet, the wait continues. At the moment I am reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (author of The Handmaid's Tale). She astounded me when I read her novel Oryx and Crake a few months ago and she is quickly becoming one of my most favorite authors. She rivals even Virginia Woolf. I am also bringing some literary theory to read on the plane: Bodies that Matter by Judith Butler and Criticism and Ideology by Terry Eagleton.

I'm in a rush at the moment so I will post again when I have arrived in the Bronx and gotten settled. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! It is amazing that the day is here where you're actually leaving! Have a safe trip and I look forward to when you get back to Seattle. I am going to miss you in the sense that 1) your physcial self will not be present, 2) I cannot ask 'what do you think about this idea' and get immediate feedback and 3) well, just you in general. I do look forward to seeing you in the Renaissance chatroom, emails and reading your blog. I have a song dedicated to you William. It's 'My Wish' my Rascal Flatts. It's on my blog...

All the best!
Nanchy

Unknown said...

I'm packing for my own trip... for 16 days. I thought I would take all my goods in a carry on and quickly realized it isn't going to happen. How do you pack your life up in a backpack and suitcase when I can't pack 16 days up in the same space. I can't wait for the photo series from your window!