Saturday, August 16, 2008

Update on the job search

So, I've been here for almost two weeks and I think I have found a job. I interviewed last Tuesday with the Lion Brand Yarn Co. in Manhattan and they emailed me after checking my references to ask if I could come in on Thursday and Friday to work in the design department. Originally the plan was to have me work part time on a trial period and reassess at a later date, but after my first day they said they wanted me to work full time for three weeks as a trial period and reassess from there.

I won't be doing any of the designing, instead I will be assisting with day to day operations, handling all the shipping and maintain a database of all their projects. The work environment is really great. Everyone has been more than friendly and I look forward to working there on a more permanent basis.

If I am hired as staff I would also receive medical, dental, and vacation benefits, and while I won't be making a fortune, I will be making enough to pay for rent and other necessities, flights home and the all important Starbucks.

I am very excited about this: it's my first 9 to 5 job, and it's in Manhattan! I'll keep you updated as I learn more.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations!

Michelle...Knittease on Ravelry said...

Hey William!! Glad I found your blog! Glad you are settling in to you new digs. As I'm sure you know you're missed back home, but the Lion Brand gig sounds FANASTIC!

dweller said...

Wow - congratulating William! I am sure they will adore you and want you to stay!

Unknown said...

Right On... a job in Manhattan in under 2 weeks.. Congrats!! Cindy

Unknown said...

How do you do it? I can't believe that everything has worked out so well. I'm very excited that you are going to be able to make flights home too! Oh, and whatever you do pay the extra $50 to not fly Airtran... even if it is only Southwest you are upgrading to.