Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I've arrived: My first night in the Bronx.

Well, I made it. I woke up at about 5:oo and caught the plane at 7:40. We arrived about half an hour early which was fine with me because there were two babies that cried through the whole thing. I picked up my suitcase and headed for the AirTrain which took me to the E train at Jamaica station. I took the E to 7th Avenue where I transferred to the D train headed for the Bronx.

When I stepped out of the subway I realized how different my life was going to be living here. Looking around me I tried to think of somewhere I had been previously that was comparable. Madrid and Pioneer Square both came to mind. The buildings are all very old (or at least seem to be) and I am glad I speak some Spanish because many people here speak it (as well as Italian). I could tell I stuck out like a sore thumb with my back pack and suitcase, but I tried to make my way to my new building as quickly as I could.

Because the plane was early I had to wait at McDonald's until about 7:45 because my landlord couldn't meet me until then. When I did finally meet him I was relieved to find he was 1) an actual landlord and not a scam artist who was never going to show up, and 2) a nice guy. He showed me my room which is small, but big enough, and we moved in a new single size bed for me to sleep in.

By then I was exhausted, and hungry so I ventured out in search of provisions. The first thing I came across was a wine store. Thank god. I bought a bottle of yellow tail and a beautiful crystal glass, and went to drop it off at the apartment before finding food.

When I put my key in the lock, however, the handle didn't move. I tried again, still nothing. After several minutes, I decided to call the landlord to see what I was doing wrong. He came up (he lives on the bottom floor) and showed me that to open the door I have to insert the key, pull the door slightly toward myself (but only just slightly!) and turn the lock to the left...slowly. I tried and was finally able to do it. I thanked him, dropped off the wine and went out in search of food.

I live right in Little Italy and so, Italian food was close at hand. I stopped into a little place called the Two Star Restaurant. Trust me, it's better than it sounds. I had the Fettuccine Alfredo, and headed back to my place with the left overs. I put the key in the lock, pulled towards myself, and turned to the left, but the door would not open. I struggled for what felt like half an hour until someone came up behind me and asked if I was having trouble with the lock. I panicked slightly in the realization that I was obviously from out of town, semi-locked out of my place and it was about 10:00 in the Bronx. I confessed that I was having trouble and this person introduced himself. He lives on the second floor and wanted to show me how to work the lock.

He inserted the key, pulled the handle, and turned the lock, and for him it opened. I tried it a few more times and somehow, I was able to open it. I hope I still can later.

Today, I need to buy some things for my place, and start looking for a job. I still need to find time to explore Manhattan too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you arrived safe and sound! As for the lock, I bet it opens every time from now on! I hope you enjoyed your wine in that special glass!

Fondly,
The Noble Knitter

Carol said...

Hang in there William and keep busy. Oh and also remember how much comfort your knitting can bring. Tell us about school!
Carol